Technical Lead Ref. 446
Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
We're looking for people that can lead the engineering of our physical product developments, bringing together the contributions of a range of hardware related engineering disciplines and working with our impressive in-house prototyping and manufacturing services. The resulting products solve challenges across a diverse range of security and information domains that are either too niche or too sensitive to be undertaken elsewhere. The pace of change of technology, and society's increasing dependency on technical systems, mean that the programmes and projects we undertake have more complexity and uncertainty than ever before, and we must grow our systems engineering and technical team leadership to keep up with demand.
Our Technical Leads spend time focusing on either directly leading teams of developers (being what we internally call a 'technical manager') or analysing the wider systems and problem spaces that our technologies need to integrate with (being what we internally call a 'systems engineer'). We'll work with you to identify which is the best fit for you:
• Those focusing on technical management are responsible for defining, planning, monitoring, and controlling the work of the development team. They work alongside project managers, and choose how to split their time between leading the team and doing hands-on development work
• Those focusing on systems engineering are responsible for bringing clarity to complex and foggy problems and contexts, leading and influencing stakeholders to achieve this. They operate both at the project level, supporting technical managers by leading on the front end of the engineering lifecycle on our most complex developments, and at the programme level where they manage the complex eco-systems of technologies that give our customers end to-end capabilities and shape the requirements for future developments
In addition, our more experienced Technical Leads contribute to driving and sharing good practice across HMGCC through line managing other Technical Leads.
We would need you to already have:
• Actual experience of working on projects to develop physical products, where your role has been to understand the technical elements of the solution, liaise with customers, and ideally to lead multi-disciplinary teams of development engineers
• A practical understanding of principles and techniques used in shaping and managing the technical aspects of engineering projects, and experience in tailoring development processes for the more complex projects
• Experience of managing customer/stakeholder relationships
• Experience of at least two, and ideally more, of the following aspects of technical leadership and systems engineering:
o Eliciting, managing, and constructively challenging customer requirements o Solution concept generation, analysis, and trade-off
o Architectural design
o Leading teams of engineers working on a range of technologies, ideally including technologies not personally familiar to you
o Managing technical risks affecting the project delivery
o Direction and oversight of engineering project integration, verification and validation activities.
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have experience of:
• Projects/programmes where key aspects of product performance arise from the successful application of a diverse range of engineering disciplines and/or technologies
• Projects/programmes involving elements of software development
• Security engineering or information assurance, including threat modelling and preparation of system accreditation evidence
• Engineering sectors such as telecoms, defence, rail, or ICT
• Using modelling tools, languages, and frameworks to support and communicate your work
• Line management; performance appraisal and difficult conversations
To work as a Technical Lead, you will be the type of person who:
• Understands the value of thinking in terms of systems, and is able to apply it to a range of contexts to get to the root of an issue
• Enjoys solving problems, and helping others to work together to solve theirs
• Reflects on and learns from experience; who drives their own professional development
• Enjoys working with a range of experts, knowing when and how to draw on their expertise to help you deliver project requirements
• Relishes the opportunity to manage complex customer requirements, leading to in-depth discussions to find out what they really need
• Is confident in dealing with uncertainty, helping others to reduce and manage ambiguity around potential ways forward
• Enjoys actively maintaining your technical knowledge, making sure that you keep up with latest technologies
• Can communicate complex technical information to those without a technical background in an engaging and effective way
• Is adept at tailoring approaches to get the right balance between pace and rigour
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This is a rolling campaign and shortlisting will be undertaken on a regular basis. Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.