Hardware/Radio Frequency Test Engineer Ref. 548
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Hardware Evaluation Engineer to join our growing team. Here you will have the opportunity to be creative, working with the latest technology and test equipment.
What makes HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to get involved in evaluating a diverse and exciting range of products. You will use your skill and experience to ensure these products perform safely, securely and that they meet the original user-requirements. You will enjoy thinking creatively to define and perform the most appropriate tests, trials and measurements to achieve this, both in the lab and off-site. We'll give you the opportunity to take ownership of your work and use your own expertise to recommend whether the products are fit-for-purpose.
We would need you to already have:
• An HND or equivalent in an engineering discipline such as communications/electronics, or relevant experience
• Experience in devising and performing tests, measurements or user trials from at least one of the following areas:
o RF system & antennas
o Communications systems (including telecoms, IP networking etc .)
o Navigation systems
o Imaging & video
• A working knowledge of RF/audio laboratory test equipment and test techniques
• A full UK car driving licence as your work will include organising and performing trials off-site as well as in the lab
To strengthen your application it would be desirable if you have:
• A degree or equivalent in communications/electronics
• Experience of a wide range of commercial communications systems including cellular technologies, IP networking, satellite systems, PMR, and short range telemetry systems
• Working knowledge automated test systems such as LabVIEW
• Experience in product quality including some of the following:electronics construction & reliability, EMC & environmental engineering and battery technologies with the ability to suggest solutions to problems
To work as a Hardware Evaluation Engineer you will be the type af person who:
• Has an insightful mind and is able to identify the most important things a product needs to deliver in the real world
• Is committed to finding out what customers really need so you can help make sure their requirements are met
• Likes seeing tasks through to the end
• Values having personal responsibility for tasks, being able to plan your own workload
• Is confident preparing written work as well as representing own work verbally
• Can summarise complex technical issues in a way that different types of people will understand
• Enjoys the flexibility of working in a small team and helping or coaching other team members
• Values and encourages collaboration and enjoys seeking out and incorporating the views of others
• Seeks out opportunities for learning and is positive about change
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
• Evaluate products and systems and determine their fitness-for-purpose
• Liaise with designers and end-users to get problems resolved
• Produce accurate, impartial, clear and concise reports highlighting results and any issues, peer review colleagues reports
• Deliver to time and cost objectives
• Be responsible for the quality of your work and work in accordance with procedures, policies and responsibilities common across HMGCC
• Be willing to expand your skills and knowledge to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government 's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure . In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area, then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.