IT Systems Engineer (WebOps) Ref. 580
HMGCC has a unique and exciting opportunity for an IT Systems Engineer (WebOps) to join an exciting and growing team.
What makes working at HMGCC different is that you'll have the opportunity to deploy and maintain systems that help protect national security at home and overseas. Our IT Department delivers a range of high quality enterprise IT services that is used by a growing number of Government Departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual with the right skills to become part of the Web Systems Administration Team. This team is primarily responsible for the support, maintenance and development of our Web technologies and infrastructure, keeping in line with our technology roadmap. You will need to be proactive whilst adhering to the ITIL best practices framework.
You will test out and trial cutting edge technologies that are available on the market whilst working within a dynamic and friendly department. We'll give you the opportunity to be creative and let you decide how you want to get the work done.
We would need you to already have:
- Experience of configuring and supporting Linux-based Web infrastructure.
- Experience and knowledge of using containerisation software.
- Application lifecycle support experience (development, test, integration, support)
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
- Experience of working with:
o Version control systems (e.g. GIT, Subversion ,SourceForge, etc.)
o Continuous Management Toolsets (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, etc.)
o CI/CD Pipelines.
o Collaborative development/support toolsets (e.g. JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket)
o Content Management systems (e.g. Alfresco, Drupal)
o Enterprise Search technologies (e.g. SOLR, ElasticSearch)
o Container virtualisation technologies (e.g. Docker)
- Experience/Knowledge of supporting Proxy Servers.
- Experience of supporting MEAN stack elements (i.e. MongoDB, ExpressJS, Angular, NodeJS)
- ITIL process familiarisation
- System or application design experience
To work as an IT Infrastructure Engineer, you will be the type of person who:
- Assists and guides others who are less experienced or new to their role
- Questions assumptions and considers a problem in context
- Thinks creatively and generates innovative approaches and solutions
- Plans ahead and involves others in a timely way
- Sets clearly defined, realistic objectives and deadlines
- Communicates with credibility to a variety of audiences, inside and outside the organisation
- Creates and encourages positive working relationships
- Promotes new and flexible ways of delivering services that are responsive to customer needs
- Keeps customers informed about progress and the bigger picture as appropriate
- Encourages and enables others to share ideas, to suggest changes and to make improvements
Putting Your Skills To Use
Using your expertise as part of our team you will:
- Represent the organisation at external meetings for your specific areas of responsibility (Including technical, policy and service delivery issues)
- Be involved in the building, testing and implementation of significant system enhancements
- Lead and co-ordinate large scale Problem investigations
- Proactively identify system performance optimisation opportunities
- Review, revise and create low-level design documentation
- Provide expert subject matter technical input, including providing team training
- Provide stand in leadership and team support when required
- Own projects from beginning to end
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Governments communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit 'about us'.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.