Senior Electronic Development Engineer Ref. 581
At HMGCC we design and develop leading-edge communication systems to support UK interests at home and overseas. The Electronics Systems team delivers a wide range of products based on broad technologies. Our focus is on product realisation, working with experts from other areas such as radio, mechanical and signal processing.
HMGCC aspires to be the best place you'll ever work - we'll invest heavily in your career development through technical training programmes, professional accreditation, mentoring and on the-job training.
You will provide technical expertise in the design and development of imaginative solutions to unique communications problems. As part of a team you will be responsible for the system throughout its development, from the initial gathering of requirements and analysis, through design and verification, to the planning for transfer into service.
Our work is hugely varied, with time scales for delivery ranging from a couple of weeks to a few years, so we need versatile and passionate people to tackle new problems as we continue to push new technology forward. At HMGCC you'll see how your work can really make a difference.
We would need you to already have:
• A relevant degree qualification or equivalent.
• Proven practical experience of detailed electronics design as a Senior or Lead Engineer in a product development environment, producing practical solutions to problems.
• Experience in using PCB CAD tools, preferably Altium.
• Experience of product development across the full development lifecycle from requirements to delivery.
• A working understanding of Design for Test, D1sign for Manufacture, Qualification and Product Safety.
To strengthen your application, it would be desirable if you have:
• Experience in any of the following: low and ultra-low power electronics, low noise design, analogue, mixed signal, high speed digital, power electronics.
• Experience of working in any of the following applications: mobile communications (2/3/4/SG), radio communications (including SDR platforms), sensing and telemetry, auio visual, computer and network hardware, industrial control systems, secure communications, security engineering, safety-critical engineering.
To work as an Electronic Development Engineer, you will need to be the type of person who:
• Enjoys taking the lead, supervising others, assisting with their development and reviewing their work.
• Enjoys working out how you can apply a range of techniques in different and imaginative ways.
• Takes pride in producing accurate design specifications and turning them into reality, making sure that they deliver the end user's exact requirement.
• Is excited by the opportunity to focus on a specialist project.
• Naturally pays extremely high attention to detail, being thorough and concise in your approach.
• Is adept at getting the information you need, and can explain your own requirements to non-technical audiences as well as the team.
• Values contributing to a multi-disciplinary team, keeping others fully informed of the progress in your individual area of responsibility.
• Is adept at modelling how something behaves so that you can choose the right method to meet your customer's requirement.
• Would value opportunities to progress towards taking the lead for the most complex of projects.
Putting Your Skills to Use
Using your skills and experience in Electronics Design you will:
• Specify and design solutions that meet the customers' needs.
• Ensure that your designs are properly verified against formal criteria.
• Ensure that your designs are documented appropriately enabling others to work more effectively.
• Peer review others' designs.
• Ensure you remain up to date with current design methodologies, technology and devices, selecting the best in new technologies for your product.
• Be responsible for the quality of your work and work in accordance with procedures, policies and responsibilities common across HMGCC.
• You will also take on the responsibility of supervising, mentoring or coaching less experienced engineers or technicians.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Government's communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. In return we will offer you a positive and creative environment to work in and give you all of the tools and training to develop and be the best that you can be.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Leader’ we offer an interview to all candidates with a disability who meet our minimum criteria for the role that they are applying for. This is known as the Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS).
To secure an interview for this vacancy you will be asked a series of questions relating to this vacancy. If you meet the criteria you will be directed to the full application form. On successful completion and an application form sift, you will be invited to interview. This is our guaranteed interview.
To find out more about HMGCC and how we are truly individual both as an organisation and an employer visit our 'about us' page.
*If you are relocating to the area then we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.