Senior Network Engineer Ref. 649
This is a full-time position for 37 hours per week Monday to Friday.
Flexible working patterns will be considered.
Do you want a better work life balance? Want to influence the design of new networks? Want to do something which makes a difference in the UK and around the globe?
You’ll use your network skills and experience to support all data and voice networks at HMGCC from planning, through to design and implementation. You’ll enjoy making recommendations of innovation and improvement to processes to enhance the delivery to your customers.
You will get involved in supporting strategic planning with new technologies and techniques for customers, working with colleagues across different locations and interpreting complex business requirements and issues.
You will enjoy managing network monitoring tools to support any enhancement proposals.
More about you
You’ll already have:
- Cisco CCNP or equivalent experience
- Experience in network evaluation/configuration/functionality/testing and deployment
- Experience in network management and monitoring tools/applications
- Broad experience of multi-vendor hardware (switch, router, firewall)
To strengthen your application you’ll also have one or more of the following:
- Proven experience of customer service delivery in a technical environment including project implementation
- Knowledge of WIFI technologies
- Experience of working with formal design and build documentation
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Encourages individuals to share their ideas
- Creates a supportive environment in which team members take responsibility for team goals
- Takes action to stop, slow down or change activity when evaluation shows it is not working
- Works with customers to establish clear desired outcomes and expectations
- Puts mechanisms and processes in place for continual improvement
- Makes decisions and supports others with their decision making in situations of ambiguity and uncertainty
- Provides comprehensive information to customers and service leaders, inspiring confidence
Putting your skills to use
You’ll be the type of person who will:
- Contribute to the maximum availability of all corporately supported ICT network infrastructure to the customer base throughout HMGCC
- Support day-to-day liaison and strategic planning with customers using new technology and techniques to improve the service offered. This role will require collaborative cooperation with colleagues on other sites and involve the day-to-day supervision of contractors
- Work with the Network Engineering Manager to contribute to implementing and managing network monitoring tools with a view to achieving the most effective use of network infrastructure equipment, providing management information to support any enhancement proposals
- Contribute to the delivery of secure, functional network infrastructure services to defined service level agreements
- Maintain awareness of technology, innovation and improvement of processes to:
- Anticipate new trends and technologies relevant to HMGCC’s requirements, in converged network environments
- Deploy new tools and monitoring techniques improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the network
- Ensure that all procedural documentation is created and maintained, and of sufficient detail for purpose
- Forge positive working relationships with our internal/external customers and suppliers by:
- Demonstrating a high degree of professionalism and technical credibility
- Developing trust with the customer in resolving queries promptly in a helpful and friendly manner, with enthusiasm and pride
- Using effective supplier/contract negotiation skills
- Supervise the work of less experienced engineers and technicians when requested, including:
- Taking responsibility for the quality of their work
- Assisting their delivery to schedule
- Supporting their development through mentoring and coaching
- Interpret complex business requirements and issues associated with corporate networks and developed switches, routers and filters, recommending support activities to remedy the problem
- Be regarded as the technical expert in this field, with a proven track record of successful achievements in current and/or previous roles
- Assist with the evolution of technologies deployed by making recommendations on suitable product selection, and to manage the lifecycle of the solution
What we offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
- 25 days annual leave
- Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
- Pension. Our Pension scheme is pretty competitive
- Free parking
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
- Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LBGTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone
HMGCC is proud to hold the status of Disability Confident Employer. In line with this, we offer the Disability Confident- Offer of Interview. To find out more and how you can apply under this scheme, please click here.
You will play an integral part in ensuring that our Governments communication systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure.
Discover more and apply here.
Please note shortlisting will not be carried out until after the closing date for this role.
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date.