Apprentice - Software Ref. 650
So Many questions....
What career do I want to do?
Apprenticeship or Uni?
Will I fit in?
It’s totally understandable to be unsure about what path to choose. We get it! So, let us tell you a few of the reasons our existing apprentices chose us:
- You get to work with the latest tech
- You get to work on projects that protect national security
- A whole team of people there to support you
- Starting salary of £18,709. It goes up every year too! *
- Tuition paid for = no debt
*As long as you successfully complete the year.
Sounds pretty good, right?
As a Software Apprentice, you’ll complete a 30-month programme to achieve a Level 4 Software Developer apprenticeship undertaking placements and training in both Software Development and Software Testing. You can read more about this here.
We won’t tie you in to working for us forever. We don’t need to. Over 80% of our apprentices who joined in the last 10 years are still here and all of them achieved promotion within 2 years of completing their apprenticeship. So, if you’re wondering if an HMGCC apprenticeship is an alternative to University to give you the career progression that matches your ambition, we can confidently tell you, it absolutely is.
And to answer, will you fit in? Well, we won’t claim to be everyone's cup of tea, but you’ll be joining an organisation that genuinely respects and values each other's differences as well as our similarities. It makes us even better at what we do.
So, take a look at the section below and if it sounds like you then we’d love to have you on our team!
More About You
You’ll already have (or be predicted to get):
• An A-Level in Computing or Maths or a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Software Development or a L2 BTEC National in Computing
You’ll also have:
• A keen interest in Software Development and Testing
Your Personal Skills
You’ll be the type of person who:
• Is creative. Your curiosity and own style of thinking will bring a different perspective
• Enjoys being part of a team. You’ll share your ideas and learn from others
• Wants to make a difference. You understand the importance of what we do and take pride in doing your best even in challenging situations
• Is open minded. You’re willing to try something new, to improve and learn along the way
• Behaves with integrity. You will be professional, honest and reliable
Over the course of your apprenticeship, you’ll split your time between a local college completing the academic knowledge and competency qualifications of the programme and on the job training at HMGCC. You’ll also receive paid-for membership with a professional organisation such as the British Computer Society.
You won’t be on tea duty while you’re here; our apprentices get involved in real projects from the beginning. Throughout the programme, you’ll undertake various mentored work placements and customer projects which will give you hands-on experience to back up the classroom training.
On completion of the scheme, you’ll have a solid foundation to begin your career as a Software Technician. You might find yourself in either our Development Team or our Test & Evaluation Team depending on what you enjoy. And, your development doesn’t end with the completion of your apprenticeship. You’ll experience a career that’s as varied and progressive as you want it to be.
What we Offer
Now that we’ve explained a bit about what you’ll be doing, here’s what we can offer you:
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
• 2 ½ additional days leave (set dates through the year)
• Paid overtime or time off in lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, we believe you should be rewarded for that
• Training. Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a ½ day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it’s relevant to your career, we will aim to support you
• Pension. Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It’s competitive
• Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you
• On site nursery (subject to availability)
• 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice
• Free on-site parking
• Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day
• Affinity Groups – whether you are disabled, LGBTQ and/or BAME. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone
HMGCC protects national security at home and overseas. You will play an integral part in ensuring that the Government’s communications systems in the UK and around the globe are reliable and totally secure. You will join an inclusive environment that will give you all the tools, support and training to develop and be the best that you can be. To find out more, please click here.
As part of our commitment to being a ‘Disability Confident Employer’, we will offer a place at our assessment centre to candidates who have a disability, who meet our minimum criteria. Our minimum criteria is defined as passing the following application stages:
• Eligibility – You will need to meet the basic eligibility criteria relating to this vacancy
• Situational Judgement Test – You will need to meet the pass mark for this online test
• Application form – You will need to pass our application form sift
Please click the apply button. Our Recruitment Team will process your application once the role has closed and everyone will get a response.
Below are the approximate assessment dates if your application is successful through to the next stage:
Assessment centres – Week commencing 14th December 2020
Interviews – Week commencing 11th January 2021
Please note dependent on the recruitment requirements, we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date
If you have any questions about this apprenticeship, and would like to speak to someone, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to speak to someone on the phone about the apprenticeship, please email us with your phone number, the apprenticeship you are interested in, and request a call back from a member of the team.
*If you are relocating to the area we can discuss the possibility of a relocation package.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.